February 5, 2012: 9:00am – 6:00pm
6344 Memorial Road
Registration: at the door at 9:00 am Sunday, February 5
Admission: General $30; Students $20
Cash or cheques only, made payable to University of British Columbia
A full day day of concerts, workshops and masterclasses featuring guest artists Daniel Perantoni, tuba and Ralph Sauer, trombone.
More than 300 brass enthusiasts, young and old, came out to UBC for the inaugural BrassFest! on a rainy January Sunday in 2011 to fill the Old Auditorium for a day of concerts, workshops and masterclasses. BrassFest! returns with a forecast of sunshine and more of everything brass. Guest artists this year are Daniel Perantoni, a renowned tuba soloist and now Professor at Indiana University and Ralph Sauer, former principal trombonist with the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
These two heavyweights in the brass world will be featured soloists in concert and give workshops. UBC School of Music faculty members will also be leading workshops and involved in the concerts. Other performance groups are the Vancouver Brass Project, an ensemble with many of Vancouver’s top brass players, the UBC Symphonic Wind Ensemble, the Little Mountain Brass Band, a community ensemble, as well as chamber groups of UBC School of Music students. BrassFest! is presented by the UBC School of Music and coordinated by Dr. Robert Taylor, Director of Bands at UBC.
Created for Brass players of all ages and levels, BrassFest! invites participants to bring their instruments to play in workshops, get tips from top level musicians, and learn more about their instruments and brass repertoire.
- Play Along With the Pros
- Led by VSO musicians and UBC School of Music faculty members
- Trumpets: Larry Knopp and Alan Matheson
- French Horns: Benjamin Kinsman and Richard Mingus
- Trombones: Jeremy Berkman and Gregory Cox
- Euphoniums and Tubas: Peder Maclellan
- Hotter Than That: A Short History of the Jazz Trumpet with Alan Matheson
- Trombone Masterlcass with Ralph Sauer
- Euphonium and Tuba Masterclass with Daniel Perantoni
Mass Brass Reading Session:
- for all participants to play together
Brass Resource Centre:
- featuring equipment and sheet music displays by The Brass Cellar, Cherry Classics, Harrison Mouthpieces, Long & McQuade, Matterhorn Music, Northwest Musical Services, Tom Lee Music, and more!
Full schedule for BrassFest! and biographies of guest artists of Daniel Perantoni and Ralph Sauer are available on the BrassFest! website.
|February 5, 2012|
|9:00 am||to||6:00 pm|