Posting for the position of Artistic Director of Chor Leoni Men’s Choir
Chor Leoni Men’s Choir was formed in 1992 by its current Artistic Director, Diane Loomer, C.M., whose goal was to create an internationally recognized male choir capable of performing music of the highest calibre. By virtue of its consistently outstanding performances of challenging repertoire, the widespread distribution and sales of its CDs, and its eight first-place wins in CBC’s National Choral Competition, the choir’s reputation has soared to the point where Chor Leoni has attained the highest stature in the male choral world. (For further information about Chor Leoni please reference www.chorleoni.org)
Chor Leoni Mission Statement
Chor Leoni fosters an inclusive environment in which men who believe in the mission of the choir and are commi4ed to its achievement may come together to make music. That mission is to explore, expand and enrich the male choral repertoire, introduce audiences to the power and beauty of this music, and s=mulate the development of male choral singing throughout the world.
Instrumental to Chor Leoni’s mission, the Artistic Director is responsible for the development of the choir’s artistic programming and project development with a 3- to 5-year time frame in mind, as well as the detailed planning of each season. The Artistic Director is contracted by the Board of Directors of Chor Leoni, is ultimately responsible to and reports directly to the Board.
Primary responsibilities will include
- Selecting, being familiar with and conducting all repertoire being sung by the Choir for each concert
- Continually expanding and refreshing the body of Chor Leoni’s repertoire by developing repertoire for men’s choirs, including exploring and showcasing Canadian music and investigating and arranging for commissions of new repertoire
- Conducting all sectionals, rehearsals, workshops, open reading sessions, competitions, recording sessions and performances including small ensembles as needed
- Auditioning potential choristers, accompanists, soloists, guest artists, and instrumentalists Keeping current with new TTBB choral repertoire
- Providing artistic direction and programming for the choir: developing themes for current concerts and long-term programming for the future
- Overseeing concert-related logistics as needed Overseeing the choir’s youth outreach activities
- Attending and participating in all meetings of the Board of Directors, meeting with committees of the Board as required, and doing resultant tasks
- Working closely and regularly with the President of the Board and members of the staff
- Respecting the history and traditions of the Choir
- Providing input to grant applications and fund-raising efforts
- Representing and promoting Chor Leoni at music conventions, committee meetings, BCCF, ACCC, ACDA, IFCM, Canada Council, etc.
- Advocating on behalf of the Choir at community and cultural events
- Choral conducting experience, advanced knowledge of conducting and rehearsal techniques Minimum of a graduate degree in music or equivalent experience
- Experience in choral arranging
- Piano skills sufficient to support choral conducting
- Training and experience in applied vocal technique Familiarity with historical and current TTBB choral repertoire Excellent verbal, written and computer skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work as a member of team
- Good sense of humour
Shortlisted applicants will be given an opportunity to conduct a rehearsal of Chor Leoni Men’s Choir on one of these dates:
- Wednesday, February 8, 2012
- Wednesday, February 15, 2012
- Saturday, February 18, 2012 (alternate date, if required: February 11, 2012)
Rehearsal repertoire will be for the Rebirth concert on April 14, 2012.
Each applicant may also take about 15 minutes of rehearsal time to present a sample piece of their choosing.
Interviews will take place within this time period as well.
At the discretion of the Search and Selection Committee one or more applicants may also be given the opportunity to conduct a portion of one of the performances on April 14, 2012 (2pm or 7:30 pm).
This is a contract position, renewable annually. The position is expected to be filled for the September 2013 start of the choral season. Remuneration is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit your resumé, three letters of reference (with contact information), a list of conducting repertoire and a letter of application that includes a statement of your strengths and why you are interested in this position, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: Midnight, January 15, 2012
|January 15, 2012|